Did I wreck my flash?

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
HansN46
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
I tested the old flash-then bought a new one.
In reply to Barrie Davis, Jun 5, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

HansN46 wrote:

After all I guess my flash is gone indeed. I used it om my assignment last Friday and I had to adjust the aperture every time I the distance to object was changed. So the TTL didn't work properly. Very annoying because I had to check all the images immediately after shooting.

I think it is very UN-likely that you have permanently damaged your flash by putting the batteries in the wrong way.... especially as you have stated that it appeared to have recovered normal operation.

Instead, I think you have some other problem....

..... maybe nothing more than a lack of appreciation that MOST shots need flash compensation, and this is true even when TTL is working properly and without any actual fault.

If I am right, buying a new flash isn't going to "fix" anything.

Perhaps you should do some controlled tests with your present flash, say, with camera on a tripod, and aimed at a domestic subject with a wide range of evenly distributed tones in it... possibly a wall of your family room? Then shoot frames with TTL flash control, and see what happens with a range of Flash Compensation values applied in incremental fashion.

When you have some results, maybe we can help to evaluate them.... [??]

So I'm looking for another flash now. Any suggestions within the pricerange to € 200 or a little higher?

Thnx, H.

-- hide signature --

It's a great art to make one real pro-image with any cam; it's very common to make many average images with a pro-cam!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Well, I decided to check my "lack of appreciation" on wich I actually did not very much doubt about . I used the flash already for 17 months. It would have been strange if it started to act different than it did the time before without any reason.

But I have thoroughly tested the Metz flash and I'm convinced that the flash is gone, at least the controlling electronics inside.

I made a series of images with diffferent shutterspeeds, a series with different apertures and a series in different Manual settings and ISO-auto and in each of the series there were only one or two images next to each other that were about correctly exposed. The higher-numbered and lower-numbered images were gradually under- or over-exposed. So my conclusion was the TTL did not affect the controlling system in the flash anymore.

So I decided to buy another one but not untill the salesman let me try it before buying. And of course he did. I immediately noticed the difference: the images were all correctly exposed, wich means that the in-camera TTL control was not affected.

It may not have been caused by putting the batteries in the wrong way, that's wat the salesman said too, but nevertheless the Metz was broke. Not a good score for Metz after 17 months.

I bought the new flash, a Nissin Di866 Mark II Pro. So far my opinion is that it's a big plus.

-- hide signature --

It's a great art to make ONE real pro-image with any cam; it's very common to make MANY average images with a pro-cam!

HansN46's gear list:HansN46's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow