Canikon another dinosaur?

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Squeeze.. m43rds feeling it.
In reply to Just Having Fun, Jun 5, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

"DSLR shipments for the first three months of 2013 were down 23% from shipments for the first three months of 2012"

So now you say mirrorless sales were down 15%?  But we see DSLR sales were down 23%.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the global recession starts to end.

Canon and Nikon can handle down economy, the 8 manufacturers struggling for a niche market can't. m43 is not gaining in popularity in the US, it is losing ground, so once the profit drops out it will fade into a smaller market where only 3 or 4 manufacturers will still be producing them.

They are facing a squeeze by DSLR above them and phone/pocket camera below them which squeezes them. How long can they survive? I don't know but the OP discussed Canikon being a dinosaur but the only manufacturers that have camera divisions facing extinction is in the m43 group. You say lets see what happens, well we are already seeing it.

I disagree with Thom, I see m43 going away and getting squeezed, there may be a market for mirrorless in the aps-c or FF, but time will only tell.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow