Canikon another dinosaur?

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,335Gear list
Like?
Upper limit to IQ?
In reply to novaoz, Jun 5, 2013

What you are really asking is if there is an upper limit to IQ, beyond which there is no reason to improve it, and whether MFT eventually will reach that limit.

As I see it, the key to better IQ is precision in manufacturing. To make MFT cameras with IQ like FF, precision in manufacture must at least double. The thing is that all cameras will benefit from such enhancements, so FF will also improve, thus keeping the lead. This advantage in IQ is a function of the physics involved. A larger sensor with larger sensels will have high ISO advantages over a smaller one with smaller sensels. That cannot be changed, so the question is really if at some point FF will be so good, that a fourth of that IQ is enough? And enough for everybody - or at least for so many people, that Canikon will stop making FF cameras because sales are vanishing.

The Single Lens Reflex design has proved to be quite popular over the years. My personal taste is not in favour of EVF, but that may change if they are vastly improved. I just don't think we are there yet.

I think it is great that there are so many choises and that cameras keep getting better, but I fail to understand why lovers of one system should wish another to become extinct? I don't need MFT at the present, but I don't mind that others have it and like it.

Is it just because you will be able to say, x years from now, that you were right back then? That is plain silly in my not so humble opinion, and it will say nothing of neither your ability as a photographer nor as a prophet.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow