Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 16,606
Like?
Re: Smaller sensor almost killed Nikon in the pro market
In reply to PerL, 10 months ago

PerL wrote:

novaoz wrote:

Interesting article on MFT and why it will outlast Canon & Nikon, some of his argument is sound

http://chasinglightphotography.com/blog/

-- hide signature --

Peter from Norfolk Is.

When Nikon said that they would go for the 1.5x APS-C (DX) format also in the pro cameras, they were almost killed in the pro market by Canon with their 1.3x APS-H sensors.

Then Nikon decided the smaller sensor was the wrong way and developed the D3 with its FF sensor and made a spectacular comeback, regaining market share very fast.

For several years Canon maintained that the 1.3x crop was what the pros wanted for sports, because a 300 2.8 would be like 400 2.8 etc, all the time bleeding market share and status and mindshare among the pros.

Finally Canon instead went for FF in the 1DX, and now C and N are evenly matched.

All the arguments you hear about "reach advantage", more compact teles etc, with m43 also applies to the 1.5x and 1.3x vs FF. Both Nikon and Canon has pretty competitive APS-C cameras, yet the pros prefer FF.

Why - because the results simply are better, and that is all that matters if you want to compete with the best.

-- hide signature --

Yep, I am hardly "a pro" but I have fun with a number of cameras but when on a mission and no mistakes are permitted I take my dslr kit still.

But this does not mean that there will never be an EVIL-type camera that will compete with a dslr nor that Canon and Nikon could not make quite a good fist of such a camera should they choose to do so - make a FF fist when they are at it to get the best out of their existing lenses.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow