Recommendation for new hobbiest: NEX or DSLR?

Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,251Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommendation for new hobbiest: NEX or DSLR?
In reply to Faketastic, Jun 5, 2013

Faketastic wrote:

I would have a hard time recommending the NEX system to someone new to photography.

The system is still too limited to suit everyone. What if he wants to do serious flash photography?

Nex-6 and 7 have better flash support.

Or wild life?

EA2 adapter, then you have all A-mount lenses to chose from.  I used the EA1 and with manual focus did an airshow.  I got a lot of misses, but with an EA2, it wouldn't have been different than a Sony DSLT.

I always joking that if you want to learn photography, start with shooting slides.

A low end Sony Alpha or a used A77 and a decent zoom is a good starting point.

Worst-case with the Nex, if it was found to be limiting, you'd have to sell the equipment and re-buy in the system you want.  But chances are he'd buy a new camera after a couple of years anyway.  As long as it doesn't put you in a financial bind, it shouldn't be too tragic.

I guess what I object to is this sense of, "If I don't get a DSLR, then I'll be stuck and *can't* do something."  There are some obscure accessories and lenses that are probably only available for Canikon cameras.  If you really want to be sure that you're never stuck where you can't do something, that would be the way to go.  Some people would complain on the Sony DSLR  forum about things lacking in Sony's DSLR and DSLT line (such as ring flash for macro work or larger exposure bracketing), so just going for a DSLR won't necessarily cover "everything".

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow