Considering switch from Nikon, to replace D700 w/ 5D Mark 3

Started Jun 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 675Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering switch from Nikon, to replace D700 w/ 5D Mark 3
In reply to jacobwhite, Jun 5, 2013

Another poster recently asked whether they should go for the D600 or 5D Mark III.  Based on their criteria I said that the D600 would be ideal.  I'm not a pro, myself.  If I were starting out now without any lenses I'd say the D600 would check all the boxes for me.  I want the best image quality possible and don't necessarily care about AF speed or burst rate or build quality.  So for me the D600 would be best.  I'm not crazy about the D800 because, like you, I don't need 36 mp.  However, since I have a lot of Canon glass I went with the 5D Mark III rather than switching to Nikon.  I am quite pleased with the 5D Mark III and while I wish it had an Exmor sensor the image quality is excellent.  I don't do a lot of pushing and pulling of exposure anyway.  The 5D Mark III has a pro-quality AF system.  The points are nicely spread around and it's very responsive, accurate, and precise right out of the box (a few people seem to have to make AF adjustments to their lenses but I've never needed to do that).  So if the extra $1500 over the D600 is warranted for you by the AF system (and build quality, quality control, and Canon service - all of which are great), then I'd say definitely go for the 5D Mark III.  Basically the 5D Mark III just works.  It doesn't give the photographer any headaches.  It's quite fun to shoot with.  You can forget about the camera and just focus on getting the picture.  In that sense it's really just a well-rounded camera suitable for all kinds of projects.  I think that's why it gets so much praise.  It's not really the best at anything (image quality, burst rate, AF [although only the 1DX and D4 are likely better]), but it's way above average in everything.  Not too many annoying compromises.

Good luck in your decision!

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
trueNew
EasyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow