Recurring focus problems with the D800

Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Per Baekgaard
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?
Re: Recurring focus problems with the D800
In reply to arutha, Jun 5, 2013

It does sound like your camera or (some of the) lenses needs to be checked or adjusted.

There will be some (slight) variation in the actual focus acquisition from shot to shot, and if you check when shooting wide open at short distances, the DOF is very small at 36MP when viewed at 100%. Hence, even small misadjustments is easily visible. Further, zoom lenses can have different adjustments required at different settings, so if it is not close to perfect from the start, it can be a challenge to find a suitable compromise.

I have tweaked my AF fine tune values for my lenses in the conditions I use them most often, and I find that the D800 focuses better (faster and more precisely) than any of my previous bodies (D70, D200, D300). This is not just based on shooting focus charts, but also in real world use.

The one lens that probably required the largest correction was the 50mm f/1.4D, but since it has some focus shift as you stop down, it needs to be tweaked to the condition that you shoot it at most often. Did you focus at fully open aperture and shot stopped down also in Live View mode, or did you stop down to focus?

Per Baekgaard's gear list:Per Baekgaard's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow