ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jacobwhite
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
Considering switch from Nikon, to replace D700 w/ 5D Mark 3
Jun 5, 2013

Hi there,

As a Nikon D700 user I am slightly frustrated by Nikon's current line-up.

I am generally quite happy with the D700 - just that I will require an update at some point. I feel that the true replacement for the D700 isn't the D800/e or the D600. But instead I "feel" that the 5d Mark 3 ticks all the boxes in terms of being a workhorse.

Let me get a few things out of the way in terms of my needs.

What am I looking for in a 35mm DSLR system:
Mainly a reliable, robust, system that shoots between 5-7 fps, has a good distribution of AF points, with a great AF response in both low or good light circumstances, with reliable good IQ. I need the images in a decent file-size, and I'd like the ability to shoot video again in good quality.

Why do I need to upgrade the D700:
To be fair - this is not super urgent. But 1) the sensor is a bit older and its performance is a bit dated - not a major factor but still 2) 12 Mp is fine - but ideally I'd like it to be slightly larger 18-24 woudl be good 3) Mainly I would like the flexibility to shoot video.

When do I feel I need the upgrade:
Not immediate - but I reckon some time in the next 1-2 years ...

Why not the D800:
I strongly dislike the large 36 MP sensor in the D800 - it slows everything down, from fps to the workflow attached to it.

Why not the D600
Ironically the D600 at first sounded like the camera I should switch to. The smaller sensor and the 5.5fps seemed like a reasonable feature. But Nikon has artificially reduced its capabilities to make people buy the D800. The AF points are all crammed in the middle - this is a huge drawback for me, and the body's built just doesn't work for me. It's actually quite ridiculous that the camera that is actually the faster option has slower shutter speed - 1/4000 beig the max. Not that I always need 1/8000 but I just don't want to think about which camera to bring just in case I need it!. Anyway the main drawback really is the AF points - the camera is fast but you need to move it to one side in order to get your subject in focus before firing off! How ironic and dumb! Also I heard that the AF is relatively slow.. so slow AF and fast fps while the D800 has fast AF and slow fps (go figure)...

Why not the D4
Well - mainly price and size. I just don't need a vertical grip - I trained myself to handle other cameras just as well and I really don't want to lump such a big camera around. Also for the price of a D4 I may as well do the transition to Canon.

I would like to aks the forum of there has been any recent switchers from Nikon to Canon for similar reasons and would like to hear what the general impressions are with the 5D Mark III - if it is actually the true replacement of the D700 (from a Nikon user perspective) and how well the AF works/ or if there are any downfalls with the camera.

Cheers!

jacobwhite's gear list:jacobwhite's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
trueNew
EasyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow