Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's a novel idea.
In reply to Najinsky, Jun 5, 2013

Najinsky wrote:

Why don't people talk about themselves?

I start reading the replies, and many are full of people making assumptions (sometimes disparaging) about others.

I can make assumptions about others too, if that's what I want. But I'm much more interested in hearing your own stories.

Here's mine.

SLR in my early 20s. Abandoned it when I split with my girlfriend (my main subject).

Then used regular tourist film cameras, 110 or APS until digital came along. Vacations and Events.

The Fujifilm MX2700 got good reviews in computer magazines and I bought one but wasn't impressed with the images on computer (but they looked okay printed). Still vacations and events.

Seeking better IQ I got a Nikon 5700 bridge camera. This reignited my interest in photography and I began photography as a hobby again. This essentially means not just having a camera for vacations and events like everyone does, but going out with the camera at weekends and evening with the intention of finding things to photograph.

The 5700 lens broke so I made the decision to move to a DSLR and bought a Canon 20D. Then I discovered the difference between a kit lens and a nice lens and started becoming a glass junky and went full frame with a 5D.

During this time, I'd taken a lot of images and got a reputation among my friends as being a bit of a photographer, and people were wanting me to cover events for them. People also were asking for me to produce prints for them to hang on there wall.

This switched me on to the idea that some of my images had commercial value. The vast majority didn't, but some did. Some images that I thought might have value, when submitted to online sites for sale were rejected due to IQ issues. Noise, dust, critical focus/sharpness.

I don't go out and seek to make commercial images, I shoot for primarily for fun and to practice and learn techniques, but now having an awareness that some of the images I produce have commercial value, I try to make sure I obtain images that have high technical IQ (good sharpness, low noise, clean) in case I decided to sell them through a channel that will QA the images.

When I go somewhere, say to the local market square for lunch, I always take my camera (currently an OM-D) with a single good quality lens so that I can capture images with good IQ. I also take a compact (currently an RX100) to fill a different FL than the lens on the OM-D. My expectation is that I wont get any commercial images with the RX100 (not impossible, just much less likely), but they will be plenty good enough for my albums, slideshows and wall prints. This a would call casual shooting.

But sometimes I go out specifically to find photo opportunities, and here I think there is a higher chance of producing an image with some commercial value, so for these I take a selection of good lenses to cover a range of focal lengths and perhaps even some lighting gear. This I would call serious shooting.

The difference is in the focus. In the first instance, I was going to eat lunch, and just took my camera along. In the second, I'm going to take photos, but might still stop for lunch.

-Najinsky

Thanks for the story, and I would have to say that when I am not on a international tour then all my photography is the first instance you gave.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow