Would you switch brands if an nex sized ff competitor entered the market?

Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
jasby
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you switch brands if an nex sized ff competitor entered the market?
In reply to Marla2008, Jun 5, 2013

Marla2008 wrote:

It's an interesting question. I'm a heavy NEX user who's invested in the system not so much financially (I own only 2 E lenses as I find the line-up really poor and lousy as a whole), as emotionally. I totally bonded with the NEX 7 and find the 6 (that I also own) a solid performer, and the menus and peculiar interface have become totally intuitive to me at this point (especially on the 7, whose TriNavi system is genius imo).

To me the only real question is : do you need AF. It all boils down to that. I just ordered a Lens Turbo focal reducer which is going to let me use Nikon FF lenses at their native focal lentgh and aperture (please don't going into hair splitting, I know it's a rough equivalence, but good enough for me). I am comfortable with the loss of AF (many of those lenses I use don't have AF in the first place). I resent the fact that it ties me to a single mount (or could get awfully expensive if I wanted several of those adapters in various mounts), but I think I can also live with that. If an OM to NEX Lens Turbo is born in the future, I might consider this and stick to OM lenses. Or maybe by then I'll have my need covered in Nikon AI-s and F lenses, doesn't matter.

So really the answer to that question is more about global systems than camera bodies (as always, anyway). I personally want 3 lenses : a "normal" (50mm equivalent) prime, a standard zoom (28-70 equivalent, fast aperture) and a fastish tele (70-200 at F4 max is good). And I can live without AF so far. However, I realise many people have totally different needs, want a much larger lens selection, and will not do without AF (which shouldn't be a problem much longer as I think all manufacturers are working really hard at craking the mirrorless AF riddle).

At this point I wouldn't switch my NEX 7 for anything else than a NEX 7 replacement with *much* faster AF and a touch screen (if neither, no us upgrading at all for me). YMMV.

Morning break

Just love the accompanying picture............John

jasby's gear list:jasby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow