I have a Canon T4i, but I'm thinking of getting a D7100. Need Help!

Started Jun 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?
I have a Canon T4i, but I'm thinking of getting a D7100. Need Help!
Jun 5, 2013

Hello all!

Yes, you've read that right. I've had quite a bit of fun shooting with my Canon T4i (And T3i before that) but I'm looking to maybe upgrade my camera and go with something that offers me more features. Specifically when it comes to getting the sharpest images I can. I've looked at Canon's next step up to my T4i which seems to be the Canon 7D (the 60D I think is too close with the T4i and I would therefor not consider it). However the Canon 7D seems to be somewhat...dated (3 1/2 years). Which would normally be fine except for the fact that I'm being constantly teased by the new Nikon D7100 which looks like an AMAZING camera itself! It has an awesome feature set that I'm sure would work for me rather well. The small buffer was worrisome at first for me but the more I think about it, I tend to shoot in a rather "Burst-Mode" anyways, setting my canon to multi-frame and firing 3-5 shots before recomposing and going again. I know that's not how everyone typically does it but it's just my method and it's worked well for me so far.

I know the other factor in this is lens that I've bought into. Well, I had tried many lenses with my canon rebel's and ended up with the kit 18-135mm IS STM (which hardly ever gets used) and the 15-85mm (which is always on and which I think is the greatest lens ever made! It's amazing!) So i'm not too invested in lenses and switching systems really doesn't bother me that much. Although I am wondering how nikons 16-85mm is? Anybody have any sort of mini-review they can give me on that? being the comparable Nikon version of the canon lens I love, I'd be very interested in what people think of it. It would probably be my main lens as well.

Third comes down to price. The D7100 sits at a very nice price in my opinion. There's "rumors" of the Canon 70D coming out soon maybe but even if it does I'm getting a bigger and bigger feeling that it'll be much more expensive than the D7100. So that's a big factor too.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who could give me some advice for the situation I'm in and let me know if the D7100 would be a good step up from shooting with my Canon Rebel? and how the Nikon 16-85mm lens is as well?

Thanks!

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow