Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,099Gear list
Like?
Re: Say what?????
In reply to Sean Nelson, Jun 5, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

Richard wrote:

The m43rds format is going away, why should they spend money competing against something that will go away eventually. Canons answer is for Canon users that already have lenses.

That sounds very much like Microsoft's attitude.   It's precisely that attitude that now has them scrambling to get a bit of a toehold in the in the mobile market before they loose it completely.

I doubt you have any idea what Canon is working on right now. The EOS-M was nothing but the first shot across the bow (and I'm speaking as someone who has never owned a Canon camera).

I wouldn't underestimate Microsoft and I don't know what you mean by their "attitude." While I'm an Apple person, I think MS is doing their best to innovate and to find ways to remain competitive. While they don't appeal to me, I think Windows 8, Surface and Windows phones all represent serious and non-conservative attempts to adapt to their competitive threats. You might want to also consider the following report that was released today:

A new Canalys report says that by 2017, the iPhone will have a 14.1 percent market share, with Windows Phone nipping at its heels, with a 12.7% share. In 2012, the report says, the iPhone had a 19.5% market share, and Windows Phone a 2.4 percent market share. Android dominates now and will dominate in the future, with a 67.7 percent market share in 2012, and a 67.1 percent market share in 2017.

Windows Phone will make big gains and the iPhone will lose market share because the iPhone will continue to sell at premium prices, while Windows Phone will attack the budget phone market, Canalys says.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/windows-phone/22287/windows-phone-overtake-iphone-it-will-happen

I don't think DSLRs are going to disappear, but I think the advantages of smaller mirrorless systems, both for the most typical users and in terms of manufacturing cost, are going to tilt the industry toward them over the coming years.  And the point will come when, if you're not an established manufacturer with a well supported ecosystem, you're really going to miss out on the opportunities the way Microsoft has with the mobile market.

I'm still waiting to see if Canon is ever going to take mirrorless cameras seriously, because their first effort certainly fell flat in my estimation.  It's not a product that can attract new users on its own merits, it's just an attempt to stop existing users from jumping ship.

The EOS-M was the #1 best selling mirrorless camera in Japan in both April and May. I agree that it is a very disappointing camera. Nevertheless, once Canon lowered its price, it has outsold all of the equally discounted m4/3 cameras.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow