A Pro's opinion of EVF vs OVF

Started May 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068Gear list
Like?
Re: Why the writing's not on the wall (and the new link)
In reply to WD, Jun 5, 2013

You're absolutely correct in your criticism of certain "features".  It's by no means a match in areas you mention to, let's say, a D300.  It was never meant to be.  What's amazing is that the D300 is no match for the V1 in numerous areas!  (And the V2 corrects some "design choices" of the V1).  What's enlightening is the technology Nikon has implemented.  It shows the way to a future product which might even change youropinion!

Other than framerate, I still don't see how the V1/V2 match or beat DSLRs. Phase detect AF stops working even in moderately low light (which even early AF SLRs could handle), low light capability is poor, battery life is poor, and recovery time from shots is poor. I'd rather have 3 fps and usable continuous AF in most lighting situations than 10 fps and continuous AF that only works in ideal conditions.

While you can get some good action shots in bright light if you work with the EVF's shortcomings, it's not going to do a passing job in anything dimmer than a heavy overcast day because it switches to CDAF. And that's a lot of situations, including pretty much any action indoors.

The Nikon 1 System is a niche product.  I still really want a DX version with D300 control.  Even D7000 control.  That's the product which could be a game changer.

It was a pleasure speaking to you.  Best regards,

Pleasure speaking to you too!

Better controls would be interesting, but at this point I still don't see how they can justify a DSLR size for less-than-DSLR image quality and features. It'd remain in the niche market for those who want compact cameras with interchangeable lenses and better IQ (facing rough competition from m4/3/NEX) and video shooters on a budget (facing tough competition from both Canon and Panasonic). It might carve out a niche market for those who shoot action only in bright light and don't want the bulk of a DSLR, but that feels like an awfully narrow niche market.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow