Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,574
Like?
Re: Say what?????
In reply to Sean Nelson, Jun 5, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

Richard wrote:

The m43rds format is going away, why should they spend money competing against something that will go away eventually. Canons answer is for Canon users that already have lenses.

That sounds very much like Microsoft's attitude.   It's precisely that attitude that now has them scrambling to get a bit of a toehold in the in the mobile market before they loose it completely.

I think Microsoft is competing is a like market. Meaning that everyone has the same mobile devices. There is very little difference. Tablets, phones and such.

A DSLR and a m43 are very different and very different markets. If your assumption was correct, Nikon and Canon would reduce the size of the pro camera to compete with m43 or even APS-c, but that is just not going to happen. They were designed to be shot either way which is why they include the grip. It was designed for comfort over a long period of holding and switching back and forth.

Pros use Canon and Nikon, they don't use m43. It is not even in the same league.

I don't think DSLRs are going to disappear,

Ya think? Not even the medium format has disappeared and has produced digital cameras. so of course not. America produces small cars because of gas/economy, have the big ones gone, no we are not all driving around in smart cars.

but I think the advantages of smaller mirrorless systems, both for the most typical users and in terms of manufacturing cost, are going to tilt the industry toward them over the coming years.

You may have a point, but right now an OMD is very expensive, you can buy a canon aps-c dslr for half the price with lens.

I hate using the car analogy expecially when mac heads try to use it but it cost so much to build a car, whether it is small or large. I think the same with cameras, whether it be a Canon t3i or and OMD the basic parts and R&D are there and there is little difference in cost.

And the point will come when, if you're not an established manufacturer with a well supported ecosystem, you're really going to miss out on the opportunities the way Microsoft has with the mobile market.

We are seeing a decline in the m43 in America, maybe back to the car analogy, Americans prefer bigger cars. But I don't think Canon or Nikon will miss any opportunity. Canon may ditch the the EOSM but Nikon seems to have a good product. I understand what Canon was trying to do but I think they missed the mark which was to be small with small lens

I'm still waiting to see if Canon is ever going to take mirrorless cameras seriously, because their first effort certainly fell flat in my estimation.  It's not a product that can attract new users on its own merits, it's just an attempt to stop existing users from jumping ship.

I think as live view gets better you will see m43 squeezed out, camera phones are getting better, pocket cameras are getting better, live view is getting better for DSLRs and DSLRs are getting smaller. Where does that leave m43rds? No where, IMHO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow