Canikon another dinosaur?

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,202
Like?
Re: Great article
In reply to SkiHound, Jun 5, 2013

SkiHound wrote:

Well, I do think mirrorless cameras are likely the future but I think Nikon and Canon have sufficient market presence and and market image that SLRs will be around for a while. Especially FF SLRs. There are inherent advantages, and disadvantages, to sensors of different sizes -- at least with current technology. Most folks still look at an SLR as a different animal than something like an Pen, even if the IQ is very comparable. The PDAF systems still trump CDAF for continuous AF tracking. And for fast action, as good as the EVFs are and, IMO, they have become very very good, a large OVF is probably still an advantage. But we kind of see that mirrorless technologies are closing the gap and at some point the disadvantages of mirrors and separate focusing sensors will likely yield. But I think it will be a slow process and pros who depend on systems are not likely to change anytime soon. My take is that Nikon and Canon are very reluctant to make the jump into a system that really competes with their APS-C SLRs. If they create a new system based on APS-C or similar sized system they could still become dominant players. But the initial Canon offering seemed a couple of generations too late and the Nikon 1 system seems designed to not steal sales from APS-C. It'll be interesting to see how Canon and Nikon respond.

It's not just the image quality! It's not just the sensor! A DSLR is a whole different kind of camera. You can technically get identical IQ on a mirrorless camera, let's suppose - but you cannot use it the same way for the same kinds of shots and expect to get the same results.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow