ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AndyGrogan
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
"Modernizing"
Jun 4, 2013

Hey everybody,

I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 way back in 2007 and have used it ever since.

Practically speaking, it takes very nice pictures, but to get nice pictures of wildlife I must sit and take picture after picture and try to get aimed and focused fast enough in order to get lucky and get a picture like the one attached in this post.

Male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird in White Lily, Kentucky

As you can see the hummingbird is the focal point of the picture with the background nicely blurred.

Now I decided to print a series of pictures I made in a 'book' via Amazon to actually see what pictures print nicely as on the computer the all have a 'stained glass' look of beauty. What I found is that when pictures have a subject, such as this hummingbird, the printout better with blurred backgrounds. The pictures with subjects and landscape focused obscured the subject to much.

It also makes me wonder how would you do something similar when taking a picture of a landscape, say the Matterhorn is your subject and you wish to blur the surrounds but maybe not so much as this example. Is that possible or must that be done on a computer.

So I'm been looking a the Canon DSLR and Nikon DSLR cameras. A friend took awesome photos with Nikon 7000D and the Canon 3Ti, Canon 5Ti seems nice and I'm sure there must be modern non-DSLRs that can do with my old Panasonic did but I'd like a consensus of what the best camera is regardless of DSLR / non-DSLR out there today with the top end being price-wise the Canon T5i / Nikon 7000D at about $800. That doesn't necessarily mean they are the best cameras that just means that's the most expensive I could buy.

So best camera at about $800 or less?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Andy

P.S. Hmmm, seems those were made Kodak Z612 Zoom Digital Camera which I replaced with the Panasonic DMC-FZ8 because it was easier to control and made better pictures more consistently. So I basically want more consistently better pictures with what ever is newer for $800 or less.

I'd like a DSLR but if a non-DSLR is better that's fine. The Panasonic has the controls of a DLSR so other than being slowed done by a mirror and possible slight distortion by a mirror I don't see the advantage except for the exchangeable lens kits.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow