Is it possible to view an GPS-tagged Photo on an Offline Map without internet connection?

Started Jun 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,502
Like?
Common Misconception
In reply to synoppy, Jun 4, 2013

synoppy wrote:

Thank you for all ideas. If it goes to things like linux or macports it is definitly not my cup of tea. I'm not experienced with programing but will search on to find an easy solution.

thank you

A very common Misconception about Linux is that you need to be a programmer to use it.

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of different Linux distributions around now, and you'll see huge differences between them, even if they're using the same desktop.

I switched my wife to Linux some years back, just because she's not very computer literate and had too many issues with Windows.  Now that she's using Linux, it's much easier for her (and me, since it takes less time to help her with any issues compared to the problems she had with Windows).

I "test drive" new Linux distributions on a regular basis.

Many of them are based on the same underlying Linux Kernels, yet are using a different Desktop, Window Manager, configuration utilities, default "themes", menu launchers, etc.

For example, you can find lots of linux distros that all use Ubuntu as their base.  But, some use the KDE Plasma Desktop (my personal favorite), others use the Xfce Desktop, others use the LXDE Desktop, others use the Ghome 3 Desktop, while the default Ubuntu Desktop is now Unity.

Another popular desktop (used by Linux Mint) is Cinnamon

It's very easy to use and is worth a test drive to see if you like it or not.

Personally, I prefer a KDE desktop.   See some screen captures of Kubuntu running that way here, and note the screens showing configuration utilities that make it easy to customize without every touching a command prompt:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41502125

But,  even with distributions using the same desktop (KDE, etc.), you see a dramatic difference in them because of the themes used, fonts, menu launchers, included utilities, software managers, and much more.

Note that I was using VirtualBox (free) for those screen captures.  You'll see a link to it in that post.

That's a very easy way to "test drive" other operating systems (running them inside of a Virtual Machine).    So, I'd suggest trying a few different mainstream distros to see if you like one more than another.  VirtualBox is free and easy to install in Windows.

Then, after you find one you like better, instead of running it in a Virtual Machine in Windows, install it to your hard drive in a "dual boot" configuration with Windows (which is very easy to do, so you just pick the operating system you want to boot into each time you restart your PC).

Or, just leave one in a Virtual Machine instead (and you can setup shared folders so that both your Windows installation and the Linux distro can both read and write to the same folders).  But, a physical installation is faster.

For someone new to Linux, I'd probably give something like the new Linux Mint 15 a try, as they've really refined the desktop and have lots of extras preinstalled.  Get it here and see if you like it by running it in the free VirtualBox software you'll see a link to in that post.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2366

You'll find digiKam in the built in software manager, so you can install it with a mouse click or two.

Or, as  mentioned by dmoore, there is a Windows "port" of digiKam.  But, the linux version is going to be a lot faster, less "buggy" and easier to get installed (as I've had some odd issues trying to use the Windows port before, whereas the Linux versions are usually fine and can be installed with a mouse click or two from the software repositories used by major linux distributions).

More about digiKam here:

http://www.digikam.org/

Make sure to install what's known as the kipi-plugins package, too (it will be listed in the software manager and you can easily search for them, and click on install to get them).  The kipi-plugins add a lot of great features to digiKam

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow