Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,557Gear list
Like?
Re: Is everyone here a professional now
In reply to zakkix, Jun 4, 2013

zakkix wrote:

brianj wrote:

When this site began it seemed to be teaming with amatuer and hobbyist photographer who revelled in getting more out of their new 2mp P&S digital cameras, it was really exciting days.

Now when I am reading threads people talk about carrying a P&S for unexpected things like someone runs into their car, but here's the interesting part, they say 'but when I am on a serious shoot' I take out the DSLR.

I take photos all the time and when I go on holidays I take a lot more, I love taking photos, but there is nothing serious about it, its just to record my family's life and have fun.

What is this serious photography that requires a DSLR, is it paid work, or something that their life depends on, will they lose face?

Can anyone please explain what has happened to people these days that everything has become so serious, where is the fun gone?  Is it only over on the Connect site?

Brian

Hi Brianj,

It is a status symbol for some people.

Case in point, some of my colleagues have nicknamed one particular person we know "Mr Full Frame" (no offence to full framer shooters) because he actively puts down anyone who uses a camera that is neither the latest full frame, in his case Canon 5D Mk III, or an L lens. It does not matter how good the photographer, camera, or lens is, if it is not that spec (bear in mind he shoots photos similar to what you would find in beginner workshop classes) he will deride it.

This is not an isolated incident; another colleague who has been shooting wildlife with the 7D for the past couple of years was asked why he was not using full frame as though something was wrong. The photographer just rolled his eyes.

Maybe it is the rise of an affluent middle class (think developing countries and their want for luxury cars), keeping up with the joneses syndrome or just people trying to compensate for something they lack

There seems to be a lot of it happening now, and it has made a lot of people here angry because I raised the question.  Thanks for posting a sensible response.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow