Recommendation for new hobbiest: NEX or DSLR?

Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
Recommendation for new hobbiest: NEX or DSLR?
Jun 4, 2013

I have a friend who is interested in getting a large sensor (ie non-compact) camera.  He knows a little about photography and has seen my NEX 6 and is considering buying one.   It would be used casually for family and vacation snap shots, but he also wants to get into photography as a hobby a little.  He's not sure whether it will be a passing phase or if he will really get into it, so he would like a camera that gives him the most options and that he can grow into.

Do you think the NEX 6 would be a good choice or might he be better off with a DSLR?  My only hesitation in recommending the NEX is that there is still a shortage of good zooms and the better lenses generally are a bit expensive.  I wonder if a DSLR might be more cost effective in the long run when taking lenses into consideration and provide more potential flexibility.   I am happy with my NEX and don't own a DSLR, so I'm probably a little biased.

He doesn't expect to be shooting any fast action, so the auto focus difference probably is not an issue and size of the camera (within reason) also doesn't seem to be a concern.   I don't think manual lenses will be something he is interested in.

Any thoughts?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow