dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
Re: Nos so fast.
In reply to ed2002, 10 months ago

ed2002 wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

novaoz wrote:

Interesting article on MFT and why it will outlast Canon & Nikon, some of his argument is sound

http://chasinglightphotography.com/blog/

Interesting, but the writer nearly ignores the advantages of Canon and Nikon DSLRs! First off, they produce better IQ. Larger sensors still mean better IQ, in general. Can't escape that any more than we could during the film days when larger sheets of film produced better images. Secondly, there is no m4/3 camera that can match the speed of the PJ units produced by Canon and Nikon. When they press the button, it HAS to focus and fire! the M4/3 cams are just too damned slow, and the continous AF is, well, a weak point.

Until those shortcomings are addressed, Canon and Nikon will remain dominant.

Not so fast my friend

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/870%7C0/(brand)/Canon/(appareil2)/840%7C0/(brand2)/Olympus/(appareil3)/483%7C0/(brand3)/Canon

Looking at the current sony m4/3 and canon aps-c sensor there is an advantage to the sensors in the current olympus m4/3 cameras.  Looking compared to the older 5DMK2, the difference is very small, the full frame getting 1 stop better ISO performance, with a little better color resolution and worse dynamic range.  Its hard to say that the sensors are not good enough.

I shoot a GH3 because the sensor and camera are plenty good enough for me. But it's still no match for any FF Canon or Nikon. Forget the numbers, look at the images!

Hybrid autofocus will be improved.  I just got a panasonic G5, and in many ways its autofocus is better than a dslrs.  No front or back focusing issues.  Magnification of focus area, able to touch focus any where to select it.  c-af needs to be improved and low light, but that is coming. It seems really fast to me.  mirrorless have a great focus ability in video mode and live view too.

Canon and Nikon could continue to dominate, but they will need new lenses

m4/3 has *nothing* to match the super teles offered by Canon and Nikon. Their lenses are excellent, and the selection from either vendor is unmatched by all the m4/3 lenses combined.  m4/3 has *nothing* that can be used to shoot action sports, like football and soccer, or anything that requires rapid continuous focusing. It may be coming, it may not, but it's not here *now.*

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow