Canikon another dinosaur?

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,655
Like?
Re: Canikon another dinosaur?
In reply to novaoz, Jun 4, 2013

novaoz wrote:

Interesting article on MFT and why it will outlast Canon & Nikon, some of his argument is sound

http://chasinglightphotography.com/blog/

-- hide signature --

Peter from Norfolk Is.

As all the respondents to this thread are probably camera enthusiasts, or they wouldn't be in a DPR forum in the first place, most of the arguments in this thread are likely to be based on what enthusiasts want, or think they want.

Now if you asked my children (both mid 20s) what they think, they would tell you that they think even the concept of M4/3 or NEX or EOS M, or Nikon 1 is a dinosaur.  Why?  Because unless you are an enthusiast then the thought of having to handle anything that requires lens changing, or having to understand what shutter speed and apertures do, or let alone the complexities of RAW formats and the need for PP, is complete nonsense. Now (you, me and other enthusiasts) currently love this kind of stuff but for how much longer?  As an example look at HiFi.  When I left university most of my peers aspired to two, maybe three things - a car, a good HiFi and perhaps a camera.  What has since happened to the HiFi market? A few esoteric and very expensive products sit at the very top end and everyone else is happy with their iPhones (or similar).  Audio quality? Who really gives a s**t!  It's good enough.

So all those people who just wanted a camera to record their kids and were sold Olympus OM-Is or Canon AE-1s because that's the only way they could get half decent photos, what happened to them?  Well a few became enthusiasts of course but the vast majority bought a digital compact as soon as those became available and put the OM-1 in a cupboard somewhere.  And newcomers to whom film was as archaic as a wax drum for music, what did they do?  Yes, we're back to the smartphone with its built in camera again. And if they do want a bit more zoom they might just buy a bridge camera.  50x zoom, relatively small, inexpensive and the IQ is fine for most purposes.

So the dilemma for Canon and Nikon is not how to make equipment that is attractive for DPR readers but how to make it attractive to our children and theirs.  Catering just for a group of enthusiasts who are rapidly ageing is rather like Toyota banking their total business plan on the desires of the classic car market. And as for the Pro market, well 1) it is tiny, and 2) they are far less hung up about equipment will use whatever works (as long as they can still get paid).

Sorry folks, unfortunately just tinkering with marginally smaller formats or getting mirrorless cameras to focus slightly faster just isn't going to cut it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow