Would you switch brands if an nex sized ff competitor entered the market?

Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard Ettinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,054Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you switch brands if an nex sized ff competitor entered the market?
In reply to Tastybread, Jun 4, 2013

Tastybread wrote:

I've been thinking about this for a little while. I desperately want to move onto ff sensors but can't stand the size of the available dslr's. I fully believe that Sony will try to bring something to the market before anyone else, but I often wonder how attached I am to the platform. If a competitor happened to beat Sony to the punch and thsee hardware were respectable, I probably wouldn't hesitate.

I own a NEX 7. It's a pretty high benchmark. I also own a Canon 40d. I've gone thru a bunch of smaller cameras to supplement the canon: Ricoh, Leica DLux4, and a fuji X100. Always selling one to make room for the next best thing. When I finally got my Nex 7 a strange thing happened. I found myself using it to the nearly total exclusion of the 40d. I've bought lens adapters for the Nex and now own many manual focus legacy lenses from Canon, Minolta, Nikon and Leica.

I love the versatility and image quality of this camera. I use a 5DII at work. The NEX 7 holds it own against the 5 very well. I've rented a speedbooster for my canon glass and was very impressed with the resulting images. And will likely purchase one. Waiting for the rumored Sony announcement later this month before buying the speed booster.

Bottom line it will take a great camera to overshadow my NEX 7. That said, tomorrow is another day.

Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow