NEX-6 major design flaw

Started Jun 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,453Gear list
Like?
Re: Mike - It's not a 'flaw' but I agree with you...
In reply to kaiser soze, Jun 4, 2013

kaiser soze wrote:

But, it was obvious upon reading his post that he was a real user just experiencing some frustration. A couple of people could have been a little gentler on him. It isn't like he insulted another person, and people do that all the time and no one complains until the person who got insulted loses his cool and goes on a tirade.

Indeed it was, to you and to me.  But clearly not to some others who jumped on him.  I was just attempting to explain to him why some people might have jumped on his post so reactively so he doesn't feel the need to leave the forum, but I can only guess at why since I don't think this way.

Why is this behavior annoying? Why can't you just switch it to MF? What is the downside to doing that, as compared to whatever behavior it is that you would prefer and propose?

Because I don't want to have to switch it to MF...the downside is, I've had 4 previous cameras and one other current camera I use regularly which I've always been able to use the same way, and I'd like to also use my NEX the same way...but I cannot.  I want the camera to do nothing whatsoever until I decide to half-press the shutter button, which I would like to have initiate autofocus in Single AF mode, achieve focus where I intend, and lock.  I do not want to press a different button to trigger autofocus just because I'm very accustomed to doing it with the shutter button, as I have on all previous cameras and my other current one...so switching another button on the body to function as an AF/MF toggle is not as convenient or as intuitive for me, and also removes other functions I've mapped to that button which I might find much more useful.  Where prefocus interferes the most for me is when birding with the NEX - because I am walking around with a 357mm focal length with the camera pointed down at the ground, and the focus system prefocuses on the ground at minimum focus distance...when I need to pull the camera up to shoot a bird 60 feet away, it actually increases the focus time to acquire versus if the focus had stayed at the maximum focus distance from the previous shot and prefocus was turned off.

Again note that I'm someone who can easily live with it - I love my NEX and use it almost 50/50 with my DSLR, but given the CHOICE, I would turn off prefocus.  That's all.  I just always prefer choices.  When the NEX debuted, it didn't offer very many choices at all, and I had no interest in the camera.  When the first firmware was announced adding some custom button assignments, it was the first time choices were offered, and the first time I became interested in the camera. When the 5N debuted, it offered more choices, and I liked it even more.  Additional firmware updates added yet more choices, and I liked it even more.  If they were kind enough to offer the choice to turn off prefocus, I'd ramp up my like once again.  But it doesn't mean I dislike it now because of prefocus.  It's annoying to me personally because it's not the same workflow and shooting arrangement I have been accustomed to on all previous cameras, but by no means is it annoying enough to impact my purchase and thorough enjoyment of the NEX cameras.

And what is the reason for thinking that this consumes an appreciable amount of battery power in comparison to the amount consumed by the LCD and EVF? And even if it is significant in a comparative sense, what is wrong with setting the power save timer to 10 s and then pressing the Menu button when you want it to wake up?

Nothing.  I haven't complained about the power consumption being a major factor.  I have my power save set to 1 minute and even that's fine.  I use the EVF all the time, and I just carry two batteries.  I let my camera go to sleep, wake it with a menu or shutter half press as I'm bringing it up to my eye, and it's ready to go by the time it gets there...no problems for me.  The lifespan of the batteries is fine for what it is - 400 shots in normal mixed conditions has not been a problem for me, and I can push well over 1,000 shots using the EVF when I'm in wildlife shooting conditions (ie: no flash, rapid burst, no previewing, no chimping).  It won't approach my DSLR by a long shot, but that's no surprise - it isn't the prefocus, it's the size of the battery and the EVF/LCD constant live view that makes the difference there.

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow