NEX-6 major design flaw

Started Jun 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
Re: Mike - It's not a 'flaw' but I agree with you...
In reply to zackiedawg, Jun 4, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

It's not a flaw because it was done on purpose, and by design.  And it's very similar to how many P&S cameras and mirrorless cameras work.  So 'flaw' was not a great word for it.  But 'Annoying'?  Yes - I would agree with you completely.  I've never liked that - it's one of the very few little irks I have with the NEX that I've called for fixes in firmware since the first days I had a NEX.  Just adding the option to turn it on or off would make a huge difference for those of us who do not like it.  Fortunately, it's not the worst problem a camera can have, it's easy enough to get used to or accept, and the battery life was never going to be in DSLR territory with these cameras anyway, so the small difference in battery draw doesn't really grate on me.  I do fine with the NEX despite the pre-focus which I don't like, and regularly switch from DSLR to NEX.  I can live with it because there's so much else to like about the NEX - would I disable it if I could? Yes, in a heartbeat.

You're not alone in disliking the behavior, but the question is can you just learn to get past it and enjoy the camera.  I can.  And who knows, maybe in some lucky world, a firmware update may address it someday...but probably not!

This annoyance is one of the very main reasons why I prefer my Nex-7 over my Nex-6. In 7 one can configure HW button MF/AF to "hold" so that the camera only autofocuses when AF/MF button is held down. Saves battery, makes it easier to prefocus with AF, then fine tune/follow with MF, gets rid of "must hold down shutter button" button of Direct Manual Focus.

I sure hope this was possible with all Nex models, not just 7.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow