Started May 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,974Gear list
Like?
Re: Indeed
In reply to veroman, Jun 4, 2013

veroman wrote:

Sergey_Green wrote:

Most modern printers will show around 6+ stops of DR. Many modern dSLRs capture 14+ stops. When sent to the printer the image is converted according to the printer's specifications, I mean there is no magic in it, and is reproduced accordingly. So what DxO camera tests got to do with printing is truly beyond me. But then again, those who seek the answers do usually find them.

I'm afraid you have misunderstood what I wrote. I was discussing technical data, ie dxomark sensor tests, and reliance on them as a way of judging a camera's IQ. I didn't bring up dxomark in the context of print quality.

All I'm saying is that a camera's IQ based on real-world use vs. the technical data associated with that camera usually don't go hand-in-hand. A Canon G7, for example, sits very low on the dxo rankings and would appear from ANY review to be an outdated, useless camera. Not so. It produces excellent images if used correctly and within its limitations.

But that's the thing- as you said "within its limitations."  Usually those cameras that score in Dxo higher in DR, color depth and ISO can extend the window of their limitations over those who relatively speaking score less.  Whether you need or want the extra range is certainly up to you regarding your needs and wants.

By the way, new modern cameras have 14 stops of DR (if that) only at base to lower ISOs. The DR falls off pretty rapidly beyond ISO 400.

I don't see how that's an issue, since the cameras that start with 14 stops of DR (or high DR) keep more DR over the others as ISO goes up.  That's just natural.  It doesn't take away from the advantage they have over cameras that start worse in general.

The "old" Fuji S5 Pro, however, retains a full 13 stops of DR up to ISO 800. However, the Fuji S5 Pro's DR is still no match for modern cameras at ISOs higher than ISO 800. Its DR really falls off a cliff as it approaches ISO 1600.

But usually as a general rule cameras that start HIGH in DR do better than the ones that don't. The S5 probably has the peculiarity given it's two sensors in one, effectively doing a hardware bracketing.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow