Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,046
Like?
Death of the Nikon A?
Jun 4, 2013

This is bound to get the Nikonites jumping.

Did a quick tour of some suburban Brisbane camera stores today.  I thought I might be able to clap eyes on or even hold one the renowned Nikon A cameras.  I did not expect to see a Ricoh GR as they are barely released yet, but you never know your luck in a big city like Brisbane.  No GR.

However it might be expected that a Nikon A should be about.

Tried three shops, usual culprits.  Saw a few Fujis as well, not usually that often seen, the Fuji X100 brick no problem, but only a name tag where the X100s should be - sold out?  We-aw $1,300+, must have been good.  No Nikon A to be seen - a Nikon dslr?  No problem.

Anyway I decided to try a specility shop and went out of my way and tested the wife's patience (she was very good).  Rows and rows of dslr gear, Nikon, Canon, even some Pentax.  Glory be expensive dslr lenses by the truckload.  Not being able to stick my nose close to the showcase I casually asked if there was a Nikon A in there. The sales girl was very pleasant but did not know what a Nikon A was.  I explained that it was an aps-c compact with fixed lenses.  But after a possible flicker of recognition across her face she dismissed the "A" with  "we don't carry those sorts of Nikons here".  I tried another tack "Have you any Ricohs?".  At least she knew the brand name. "Oh! We don't carry them any more the last DP1 we had took ages to sell".  I asked if she was going to get any Ricoh GR models in stock, explaining that it was also another aps-c compact similar to the Nikon A, adding that she should as "they were going to be popular".  Her reply was we don't carry that type of camera as people come and look at them and then go off and buy them on ebay.

More like death of the speciality shop, I hope dslr cameras remain popular forever.

Hardly surprising that people buy them on ebay.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Sigma DP1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow