Canikon another dinosaur?

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ryanshoots
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
Service? and then I read part 1
In reply to novaoz, Jun 4, 2013

From the article "Moreover, the mediocre customer service and odd warranty policies of firms like Nikon and Canon mean that customers have little brand loyalty beyond the sunk costs of proprietary equipment."

What does Panasonic have in the way of professional services?   They are going to have to get that going to attract pro shooters.  Olympus may have remnants of pro services, but they mostly went away with 4/3 professional shooters.

... Then I read part one and it all became clear "I confess; I’m a recent convert to the micro four-thirds (m4/3) system."

Yes, for almost 6 whole months he's been a m4/3 user.  What is it about the newly converted that makes them feel the need to proselytize to the masses?  I think it's a sign of insecurity.

There will be a place in the world for FF, APS-C, 4/3 and so on.  I would agree the mirror is going away someday in Nikon and Canon.

Lot's of things missing from the m4/3 lens lineup.  Native tilt shifts, high quality zooms (think Oly SHG level glass).  Probably the soonest that is a reality for the pro is when Oly releases a body that will AF it properly.   Sportsshooters are not being served at all by the current m4/3 market.  AF sucks for them and the small sensor requires crazy fast glass to get the thin DOF they want.  Go read John A_G's posts to get a sense of a good sports setup.

How about a good flash system for Panasonic?  I think Olympus' is fairly solid though.

And yes you're not as locked in on glass, but sometimes there are issues such as:  No automatic CA correction when mixing and matching body manufacturers and lens manufacturers, or chattering aperture complaints (rattlesnaking I believe it's been called).  Lenses larger than you need because they include IS, but your body already has it.

To a small extent m4/3 is Android and Nikon or Canon are Apple as far as the hardware goes.  Both approaches work.

If Pentax is still in existence, how bad do things have to get for DSLR's before Nikon and Canon fold up shop?

Also tired of the cliche of writing an article espousing economic principles from mba programs to try to make your points seem well thought out.  Very very common theme among bloggers.  That is only slightly less cliche than another shot of antelope canyon with light illuminating the dust.  Both make me want to vomit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow