Forum ProPosts: 13,312Gear list
Like?
Re: Is everyone here a professional now
In reply to rattymouse, Jun 4, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

brianj wrote:

contadorfan wrote:

brianj wrote:

... I am bugged by the implication that if you don't use a DSLR then you can't be a serious photographer.

Brian

Think you need to stop paying attention to what "they" think & concentrate on what YOU think.

I left my serious gear home & brought my point & shoot (Canon ELPH) for a two week trip to Italy, opting for portability & convenience. I had great fun pushing that little camera to its limits, enjoying the challenge of trying to get good shots in dim churches and museums.  Composition, looking for good subject material, and thinking about the shot isn't any different, really.  I'm happy with the photos, too. Do I care that I didn't look like a serious photographer? No -- I'm not trying to impress anybody.  Too busy photographing to notice who's noticing me.

Maybe you need to hang out over at Flickr.  You'll find serious photographers of all stripes: pinhole, film of all formats, people who love their point & shoots.

Thanks you, your a breath of fresh air, so there is at least two of us here, I did the same for my trip to Vietnam and couldn't be happier.

Brian

I took only a compact with me to one of China's most beautiful mountain ranges.  Absolutely spectacular scenery.  Because I thought we were going river rafting, I was scared to bring more expensive gear.   So in this incredible landscape, I used my compact as best I can.  I came home with decent images, even managing to get one published by a travel magazine.

But no way were they acceptable to me.  I know that with my proper gear, I would have produced substantially better images that would literally embarrass what I did with a compact.

Serious gear trumps casual gear when used by a serious photographer.

Why don't you lift your game even further then, why stop there, surely if perceived IQ is so important you might be able to get a specialty shop to produce a once off camera with 4 or 8 FF sensors in a matrix, then buy a TV the size of your house wall to sit and stare at the wonder of your creation.

Obviously this is an exageration, but everything must stop somewhere, I have just chosen to stop at a different level to you.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow