Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,173Gear list
Like?
The new FZ200, something's different
Jun 4, 2013

As a lot of you probably know, I test my cameras to make sure it's OK before the return period runs out.  So, when my latest FZ200 arrived, I tested it.

It tested really well and with higher resolution than my FZ150.  Noise was also very well controlled.  The FZ150 was set to NR -2, Sh +1.  I tried the FZ200 at NR -1, Sh -2, iRes ON; but I didn't like the look- too much noise and a little soft.  So I tried NR 0, Sh 0, iRes ON, and that worked really well - much better than the last two FZ200's, and outdoor shots are very sharp.  Even at ISO 1600, noise was well controlled with good sharpness.  I also did a set with my G15, and the FZ200 produced higher resolution to 1600; but the larger sensor of the G15, and Canon's processing, showed a lot less noise; but more artifacts and less resolution by 10-15%.

Comparing exposure settings on the G15 Vs FZ200, the G15 uses slightly faster shutter speeds.  DPR says the G15 is 1/3 stop over-rated on ISO and the FZ200 was accurate.  Sorry, my tests show the opposite.  I did not check that on previous models.

Sorry, no pictures I care to post, those will come; but I'm absolutely delighted with this FZ200.  I have no idea what's going on here.  The first FZ200 has some issues, the second one was defeated by the FZ150 in a head to head test; and the third, and latest, has soundly defeated the FZ150.  Running changes, not reported?  Sample to sample variation?  Blind luck?

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow