Is everyone here a professional now

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,888
Like?
Re: I got my first SLR (fully manual) when I was 11.
In reply to brianj, Jun 4, 2013

brianj wrote:

Hense my question, 'has everyone turned into a professional here'?  Otherwise, if they are still taking a picture of their dog or cat then any camera would do.  Its laughable the number of threads you see here asking what would be the best DSLR to buy to tak a photo of my dog!!!!!!!

Dogs are somewhat more cooperative subjects, but cats do call for the DSLR - something with an AF that gives you a chance at getting the shot when you see it.

The first 6 years of the 2000s, I shot with a couple different digital compacts, both above and underwater.  They represented an improvement over a similar film camera (an Olympus with a dual 35/70mm lens choice), but there were clear limitations due to the tiny sensor, battery life, and the slow focusing.  When it comes to underwater photography, everyone gets a lot of fish butt shots, which are totally useless.  The digital (Canon S400, in my case, a $400 choice) only made that worse - a lot can happen in the time it takes a single shot to happen.   It was also subject to blowouts with the sun or the flash.  The blue water background is blotchy.  But hey, dSLRs cost a fortune then and I had to accept the limitations.

That was then.  Now, you could spend $300some for the S110, which has one of the largest of the sensors for a compact, but it's still a tiny dot compared to an APS-C sensor.  If you want a DSLR on the cheap now, used 20d and 30ds are in that same price range.  Go up to $500-600 and you can get a new Rebel.  Either of them blows away the compact in most use cases, and no you didn't have to sell your kidney to get them.  You don't need the current release FF - the rapid focus, the optical viewfinder, the 3-5 fps are present even in the 5 year old used models.

Price isn't the reason anymore.  It's solely about the bulk factor.  I accepted that consequence and got rid of the other limitations.  It's hard to go back.  I have an S90 that usually annoys me.  I used the iphone 4S for spur of the moment needs during the day, rarely am happy with what it gives me.  So yes, "serious" work nearly always means putting out an slr.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow