Is everyone here a professional now

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,557Gear list
Like?
Re: I got my first SLR (fully manual) when I was 11.
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Jun 3, 2013

Mike_PEAT wrote:

My fist SLR I got when I was 11 was fully manual...you had to set the shutter speed, aperture, and focus for every shot.  Soon after I started doing my own chemical darkroom work.  I was NOT a professional, I was though a serious amateur.  Taking a hobby seriously with better equipment doesn't mean professional.

brianj wrote:

When this site began it seemed to be teaming with amatuer and hobbyist photographer who revelled in getting more out of their new 2mp P&S digital cameras, it was really exciting days.

When the site started a dSLR costed more than a car, $35,000!  Back then I did use a digital p&s and later a digital bridge camera to get my feet wet, but I still shot regularly with my film SLR.  When dSLR prices hit the $1000 mark only then I got one and stopped shooting film.

Now when I am reading threads people talk about carrying a P&S for unexpected things like someone runs into their car, but here's the interesting part, they say 'but when I am on a serious shoot' I take out the DSLR.

When getting the best shot counts, shouldn't the best possible equipment be used?

I take photos all the time and when I go on holidays I take a lot more, I love taking photos, but there is nothing serious about it, its just to record my family's life and have fun.

And that's YOUR opinion of the hobby.  But to many of us it's not about family snapshots, but creating works of art.  Take a look at the photos at http://www.1x.com for example.

What is this serious photography that requires a DSLR, is it paid work, or something that their life depends on, will they lose face?

Suggest you check out Canon's "Why" commercial to explain that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YCY0GwtOqM

Can anyone please explain what has happened to people these days that everything has become so serious, where is the fun gone?  Is it only over on the Connect site?

There has ALWAYS been serious photographers out there, some use camera formats that are LARGER than "full frame", medium format and large format.  When I was a teenager I even got to use a camera that was taller than a person, 24" x 36" sheets of film.

But one thing you're missing is this is predominantly a gear site, not a photo site.  It's expected that people here are more serious about gear.

Hense my question, 'has everyone turned into a professional here'?  Otherwise, if they are still taking a picture of their dog or cat then any camera would do.  Its laughable the number of threads you see here asking what would be the best DSLR to buy to tak a photo of my dog!!!!!!!

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow