D4 underwater pictures without housing

Started May 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,169
Like?
you might try a "bucketcam"
In reply to premsaggar, Jun 3, 2013

premsaggar wrote:

This was a serious question based on all the videos of cameras standing up to water. Moreover, in Nikon's own D4 video,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZMIo7Zfys, the camera goes under water for a second. The underwater scene is at 1:55. This video was shot entirely with the Nikon D4.

I own 2 D4's and I'm a pro. I asked this question because I have twin babies who are learning to swim and I wanted to capture some underwater footage. Thanks to everyone for your help.

I once wrote an article about a cool trick invented (as far as I know) by my friend Nick Didlick , a Canadian pro photographer, Nikon School instructor, and inveterate teller of stories. The article was called "Meet the Amazing Bucketcam", and I don't own the copyright anymore, so I can't reproduce it entirely here (and it has disappeared from the web). But here's an excerpt to give you the gist:

It's essentially a plastic or Tupperware bucket or trash basket with a glass port installed near the bottom. You simply wade into the water, hold the camera inside the bucket, aim it through the glass port, and push the whole apparatus down into the water without letting the water overflow the top of the bucket. Depending on how long your arms are, you can get the camera a foot or two below surface level while keeping it perfectly dry.

The materials for Didlick's bucketcam were all purchased in a single drug store. He started with a cube-shaped Tupperware trashcan and cut a small rectangular hole in one side near the bottom. Then he took the glass plate from a cheap 4 x 6-inch picture frame and used epoxy to glue it over the outside of the hole, after first roughing up the gluing surface with sandpaper. For extra leak-proofing, he used standard bathroom caulk around the four sides of the glass plate.

"Total materials cost is under ten dollars," the photographer says. "If you want a really spiffy one, you might have to spend eleven dollars. The key is picking the right bucket. Every time I'm in a drug store, I walk down the Tupperware aisle to see what the latest developments are in plastic buckets." ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow