Is everyone here a professional now

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,252
Like?
Re: It's not about being a professional...
In reply to brianj, Jun 3, 2013

brianj wrote:

Is the quest to become as passionate as your budget will allow?  I guess i am not passionate to such an extreme because I am not willing to sell my kidneys just to buy the lastest and greatest.

I cannot afford to 'sell my kidneys' either, which is why I get the best equipment I can afford, and by shopping carefully I am able to do so very reasonably.

I get a lot of fun from just trying to get the most out of any equipment, it could just be an old second hand camera, like the fellow who recently bought a G5 just because he always wanted one.  But what ever it is I am passionate about trying to get it to work the way I want.

It can be fun doing that but if the results aren't there, the fun is gone.

I mean anyone could re-mortgage the house and go out and buy the best and say hey look what this gear can do.  But what enjoyment would that be, its no accomplishment by the photographer.  Someone demonstrated how some camera could produce a beautiful image at ISO54000, so what.

Expensive equipment being used by people who have more money than ability is a waste. It is not going to produce anything worthwhile if the user has no talent or vision.

A person needs the right equipment for the kind of shooting they like to do, and they need it to be good enough that it does not hinder them. I have barely $1100 invested in my whole DSLR system and I am quite pleased with what it can do. There are people who have gone out and bought two or three of the same basic model of superzoom or advanced point/shoot who are now sitting on three highly similar cameras, have more invested than I have, and their results by and large are not as good.

I am trying to work out why I am becoming a dinosaur and out of step here.

You're not becoming a dinosaur. You just need to understand why your kind of photography and equipment is right for you even if it's not for everyone.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice. (sarcasm)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow