sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319Gear list
Like?
Re: Is everyone here a professional now
In reply to brianj, Jun 3, 2013

brianj wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

Who says SLR's arent fun?

The only thing not fun about DPR is the incessant bigotry against SLR users.

I am sure they could be fun, and the only reason they crept into this thread is because it is most often DSLR owners who use the phrase 'when I am on a serious shoot', as if nothing else would be suitable.  But my question is, what is a serious shoot?

I have a buddy who is a professional photographer and he shoots events for the city every week and multiple times a week often. He's also the city's Symphony photographer and so on. Those events are his serious shoots. When he goes out shooting with me, we might both take DSLRs anyway, but he sometimes goes very light with his X100 and I might go light with an NEX 5N. But for me, there really aren't serious shoots and I try and take my DSLR everywhere regardless of whether I plan to shoot or just want to have it in case the opportunity arises.

You've really confused me with this exchange:

brianj wrote:

happysnapper64 wrote:

In my golfing days,now long gone, I was as serious as anyone about playing & scoring the best I could. To that end, I practiced more than any of my friends & managed a decent single figure handicap, till a different handicap, arthritis, caused me to stop. When playing I was trying my very best, as well as having fun with my playing partners. If I play terrible, I rejoiced in having been out & having fun with friends, & know there is always another day. I have the same attitude to photography. Yes, I am serious, in as much as I try to take as good a shot as possible, trying not to be careless or haphazard. If it turns out I don't get the shots I wanted or hoped for, I have learned something [hopefully!]

I think that is very similair to to way I approach photography.

Brian

If that's how you approach photography then I don't understand how you are questioning others. In fact, the way happysnapper explained his photography is how I approach photography as well. When I am doing it, I am serious about my hobby to the point that I do not mind purchasing a full frame DSLR and very fast prime lenses to better accomplish the photography goals I set for myself. Each time I am out shooting, I am trying to do the best I can do and to constantly improve, just like in golf. I am not a professional in golf or photography, but I still buy very nice golf clubs. If I screw up, I know it's not because of the equipment I use, but because of my own deficiencies; same with photography (and even more so with photography where equipment can make a drastic difference - e.g., see the bokeh I get with a Canon 50/1.2L on a 6D versus the kit lens on my NEX 5N at an equivalent focal length). I wasn't always serious about photography as a hobby; I traveled Europe and went to Africa and even more international travel with a point and shoot camera in just the past 5 years. I was fine with that and with taking snapshots. Over the past 2 years, my interest level grew as did my knowledge of the technical aspects of photography and composition. As my interest and skill level grew, so did my awareness of the limitations in the equipment I was using. I graduated to an NEX 5N and then to my current Canon 6D. If I hadn't grew in skill and knowledge then I wouldn't have made these purchases and I'd probably just be using my camera phone here and there. I just want to continue to get better and I shoot daily in the hopes of seeing the improvements play out. Cheers!

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow