Is everyone here a professional now

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: It's not about being a professional...
In reply to brianj, Jun 3, 2013

brianj wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

brianj wrote:

Draek wrote:

...it's simply putting more thought into what you do. Like the difference between writing a forum post and writing a short novel; even if you don't publish it, or if you do but give it away for free online, there's still orders of magnitude of difference in effort and care. It's the difference between being an amateur in the true sense of the word, someone dedicated to the art itself, and a bored person looking for a way to kill time.

Not to offend the latter, of course—I treat drawing the same way, but I'm not about to suggest people who're serious about it (professional or otherwise) to drop Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and replace it with the smartphone app I use whose name I can't remember.

So everyone here isn't a professional, what you are saying is that many have become passionate.

Is the quest to become as passionate as your budget will allow?  I guess i am not passionate to such an extreme because I am not willing to sell my kidneys just to buy the lastest and greatest.

I get a lot of fun from just trying to get the most out of any equipment, it could just be an old second hand camera, like the fellow who recently bought a G5 just because he always wanted one.  But what ever it is I am passionate about trying to get it to work the way I want.

I mean anyone could re-morgage the house and go out and buy the best and say hey look what this gear can do.  But what enjoyment would that be, its no accumplishment by the photographer.  Someone demonstrated how some camera could produce a beautiful image at ISO54000, so what.

I am trying to work out why I am becoming a dinosaur and out of step here.

Brian

I'm struggling to understand your concerns/point.  If you are happy just taking pics for fun, that's great.  If I want to improve on my skills and have a better camera (without re-mortgaging my house), why not?  If Joe Block wants to spend $30,000 on his gear, great for him.  Why the concern?  You are happy, and so am I, and so are they.  

I think this response defines my point better:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51575073

and I don't think it has been answered yet.

Brian

Okay, now I understand.  As I don't make a living out of photography and it's just a hobby for me, I guess for me it's just fun and I don't go on "serious shoots".  But, I understand that the capabilities of certain cameras will be preferred when someone it going out on a "serious shoot" that will hopefully result in some sales/income for them.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow