Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?
Re: so that was it ...
In reply to Great Bustard, Jun 3, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Rriley wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Rriley wrote:

"That said, I would argue that any scene that is captured at 14mm f/2.8 1/4000 ISO 200 on mFT (4/3) could would not be an issue for FF at 24mm f/8 1/250 ISO 100 on FF, right? "

but you didnt do that, you gave a particular example, the Tamron

The OP gave the particular example of the EM5 + 14-35 / 2 at f/2.8 1/4000 ISO 200.  I gave the particular example of the 6D + Tamron 24-70 / 2.8 at 24mm f/8 1/400 ISO 100.

in a thread about 'build quality'

Well, when the OP finishes off his post with:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51457695

The E-5 produces 1m-wide prints that easily put most other systems to shame for detail/contrast, and this will not change for as long as the camera works.

......interesting...

Interesting, indeed, especially when considering how many times that's been pointed out to you.

all youve done is bend this thread to some darned Tamron quest

really the things little better (if at all) than a kit lens
not that this is a bad thing, its just not smart to overhype it

well I guess I could take that 14-35 image, duplicate the layer, make it about 30% opacity and offset it to the right about 15 pixels, and merge.

That should duplicate the 'Tamron effect' quite well I think

Huh.  The photos seem to indicate otherwise:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51575065

Again, one cannot comment on personal tastes.  For me, assuming I had any interest in either the E5 + 14-35 / 2 or the 6D + Tamron 24-70 / 2.8, I'd definitely take the latter.  The OP, as well as you, apparently, would definitely take the former.

for me it isnt about 'taste' or anything like that
I just find it a strange insertion into a thread about build quality, that someone would even think to mention Tamron.

but each to their own I guess

As pointed out to you, multiple times, by the way, there was more in the OP than just a discussion about build quality.

but THAT was the topic

until you decided to drain it of lief with the fabulous Tamron

This is all absolutely fine, of course.  The point on the IQ end of the matter, is to demonstrate the reasons for your particular choice via photos.  I have asked the OP time and time again to demonstrate his claims with photos that would make one system the obvious choice over the other, and if photos like the link above are examples that is using to support his opinion, well...

at the end of the day people wont remember with fondness anything about that Tamron and they will forget about the cost of a 14-35 Zuiko,

I don't think they'll "forget about the cost of a 14-35 Zuiko", I think the cost of it will simply have them talking about it in awe for as long as they use Olympus DSLRs, without ever actually using one.

theres a reason for that, theyre not using your eyes, and the rest whatever there is of that is expected

I would never expect people to share my opinion.  In fact, I rather think most would not.  After all, my opinions are alien here:  shallow DOF can be used to good effect, the corners don't matter if they are outside the DOF, there is no reason to stop down further than what is necessary to get the portions of the scene you want within the DOF, weather sealing doesn't matter if you don't use the camera in rain, etc., etc., etc.

So, lest I be misunderstood once again, let me reiterate my position.  I don't not claim that System A is "better than" System B.  Indeed, I am not the author of:

The E-5 produces 1m-wide prints that easily put most other systems to shame for detail/contrast, and this will not change for as long as the camera works.

which can be found in the penultimate paragraph of the OP.  What I'm saying is that I compare systems on the basis of the photos that the systems produce.  This comes in two parts:  the operation of the system which enables us to capture the photo at all (e.g. AF, frame rate, build, ergonomics, etc.) and the IQ of the captured photo.

notwithstanding the important features you left out

???

and yet somehow you end up with a 6D and a Tamron
bizarre ...

If my only choices were a 6D + Tamron 24-70 / 2.8 VC or E5 + 14-35 / 2, yes, but that's just me based on my personal needs, which does not include weather sealing, for example.

weather sealing is about more than just rain
and its not always the shooting circumstance that is important

you have to get there, and get back
if you are trekking or otherwise on foot, that can cause gear some injury

So, the OP began with a discussion between the operation between mFT and DSLRs, and concluded with an opinion on the IQ difference between the E5 and "most other systems".  Many have posted contrary opinions in this thread to the OP's opinions on operation, I have posted a contrary opinion on the basis of IQ.

Yeah -- I thought I had said something like that.

you kinda left out the most important facet

b u i l d   q u a l i t y

its a Tamron!

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow