Is everyone here a professional now

Started Jun 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,726Gear list
Like?
Re: Is everyone here a professional now
In reply to brianj, Jun 3, 2013

Well, actually, I bought a film P&S sometime in the early 2000s, shot one roll of film with it, then put it away. Several years later, my wife bought me an Olympus digital P&S, and after I nearly dropped it a few times, I put it away. I then tried a somewhat heftier Sony DSC-H20, and used it a few times, but photography was still not very fun.

Then, my wife, who is a forensic investigator for the medical examiner, let me handle her agency-issued Nikon D300s, with a zoom lens and SB-800 flash. Now, THIS was fun!

Soon, I was shooting with a pre-owned Canon XTi, then upraded to a 40D in about three months, and within another two months had a new 7D, which was the equivalent of my wife's D300s work camera, and had the weather-resistance I wanted, as by then I was shooting evidentiary images at work, which sometimes means shooting in the rain. (Yes, I did have to learn quickly!)  To be clear, however, I do not consider myself a "professional" photographer, as my salary did not increase when I acquired the new responsibility, though I do strive for high-quality images, and no P&S can easily do that for me.

Do I always want to haul a DSLR with me? Well, I did recently buy a Nikon A, which gives me a DSLR-sized APS-C sensor, a quite good 28mm-equivalent lens, and the ability to use pro-level Nikon Speedlights. My wife, however, claimed it, so I am saving for another.

I am interested in bird and wildlife photography, so the DSLR will still be a part of what I find FUN about photography. Life is good!

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow