OM-D E-M5 vs E-5 (build quality)

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
philosomatographer
Regular MemberPosts: 485Gear list
Like?
Clarification
In reply to Great Bustard, Jun 3, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

This is all absolutely fine, of course.  The point on the IQ end of the matter, is to demonstrate the reasons for your particular choice via photos.  I have asked the OP time and time again to demonstrate his claims with photos that would make one system the obvious choice over the other, and if photos like the link above are examples that is using to support his opinion, well...

There are very few systems that are an "obvious choice" over any other. Take a look at my Flickr photostream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawidloubser/

(not too many images posted there, but you get an idea from my style)

About hald of those images are with the E-5 + Zuikos, the other half is film - from grainy 35mm on my Leica M3, to 4x5in, with 6x7cm in-between.

At web sizes, you won't see much of an appreciable difference between images - which is the point. A photographer can express his vision with any camera. I would like to draw your attention to the fact that, images like this one at f/2.0, are a great deal better when the lens resolves exxceptionally well across the frame. It provides a subtle depth that really comes out in the large print size:

How long until they are gone?

I could have shot this same image with my Linhof Technika 4x5in and my Nikkor-T*ED 720mm f/16 to achieve a very similar look (and the same depth-of-field) but the E-5 is somewhat better for moving subjects

So, the OP began with a discussion between the operation between mFT and DSLRs, and concluded with an opinion on the IQ difference between the E5 and "most other systems".  Many have posted contrary opinions in this thread to the OP's opinions on operation, I have posted a contrary opinion on the basis of IQ.

I made no such conclusion - this thread started about build quality, and I augmented it with a tale of me (and a professional printer) being very impressed with the output in very large prints.

The more I see samples of "most other systems" - i.e. crop-sensor DSLRs with kit lenses, and Tamron 24-70mm lenses on those or on full-frame, the more adamantly I shall stand by my statement, however.

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow