philosomatographer
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?
No comparison
In reply to Sergey_Green, Jun 3, 2013

Sergey_Green wrote:

Immediately below,

dpreview review samples

LOL - The Tamron at f/8 is no match for the Zuiko 14-35 at f/2.8 anywhere  in the frame (and your sample was from a 1.6 crop sensor - funny!). What's even better is that - in the corners where one would expect the Tamron - at f/8.0 - to catch up with the Zuiko at f/2.8, it's even worse! You really have no insight into optical excellend, Sergey. I should be embarassed if I were you.

And this is at... what... 40mm equivalent at its widest?

Thank you for making my point better than what I could have done myself. The Tamron is an off-brand piece of garbage, and no full-frame sensor can improve its optical performance. Go and study what the Zuiko 14-35mm does on 16 megapixels again - evey last pixel is sharply resolved into the corners with contrast and clarity which the Tamron can simply never attain - even after it's diffraction-limited at - what - f/11 or something stupid? (compared to f/4.0 for the Zuiko). Not on 12MP, and certainly not on 36MP.

Of course, it's absurd to compare these two lenses - the one is a plastic off-brand budget alternative to Nikon/Canon's so-so 24-70mm lenses, the other is one of the highest-performance lenses available, which "practically no system fixed-focal length lens can match" according to reviews.

I'd take my noisy, small sensor over this any day, thank you very much.

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow