The proof is in the printing ...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Paco 316
Senior MemberPosts: 1,044Gear list
Like?
Re: The proof is in the printing ...
In reply to veroman, 10 months ago

veroman wrote:

This should come as no surprise to dedicated Olympus photographers, but I think it's worth posting anyway ... particularly in light of what's happened to 4:3 and the speculations about both its demise and its resurrection.

A few days ago I printed 25 images from a range of cameras, including the E-510, a Canon 450D/xsi, Canon 40D, Canon t3i, Nikon D2x, Panasonic DMC LC-1 and Fuji X10.  The images from each camera were all shot raw and processed to the very best of my ability using both LR and Capture One. They were printed on my superb Epson 3880 all to the same size: 11" X 14" and on the same paper, Epson Premium Luster.

I then asked my wife and several friends to simply sift through the stack of images and make two, separate piles: one pile for the images that had the most "pop," overall clarity, color richness, naturalness, etc., the other pile with images that simply lacked "something" or were decidedly less appealing, technically, than the other pile.

With one exception, the images in the "pop and clarity" pile were from the E-510. The exception was an image shot with my wonderful little Fuji X10, which was included in the "pop and clarity" pile.

The proof is ALWAYS in the printing. No dxomark tests or other "data" can convey with any degree of accuracy just how well a camera takes pictures in real-world applications. Even in high contrast scenes, when properly set for exposure, the E-510 performs admirably and responds exceptionally well to heavy pushing in post-process ... although the dxomark scores would lead you to think it can't compete at all with other cameras in this regard.

End of story ....

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

I've been saying this for years. Do not judge the files before printing. I have printed photos shot at ISO 3200 from my E-3 with good color and sharpness. Same goes for my old Canon 20D and Canon 40D and my "newer" Olympus Pen E-PL1.

-- hide signature --

http://www.pueblostudio.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/canoly.jpg
www.pueblostudio.com

Paco 316's gear list:Paco 316's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow