D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
FtoDin5min
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
Re: D800e with 24-70 on a vacation in London?
In reply to olyflyer, Jun 2, 2013

olyflyer wrote:

FtoDin5min wrote:

MostlyHarmless wrote:

msjhaffey wrote:

The concern is less with what you said about yourself and more with the way you imply this is typical of London.

I don't know what happened to you but I do know London is as safe as pretty much any major western city, and safer than many.

Exactly - along with similar statements about Paris (and France generally). The events described *could* have happened (though I would be very surprised that a carjacking involving kidnapping and attempted murder of foreign visitors would stay out of the media) - but the characterisation of London (and France) is just unreconcilable with reality.

just to make sure there is no confusion: I was carjacked and in a different incident my wife had the robbery/hostage situation. A few of our friends got violently mugged. London has become dangerous in that sense. They just beat you up just to steal almost nothing. But as a tourist walking in touristic places you are probably fine.

About France, it has become full of pickpockets, not a little: a lot. This is a fact too. As a tourist looking like one with a camera and walking in touristic places, I bet you at least one of these pickpockets will make at least one approach at you over a 3/4 days period. The nice thing about it is that it is rarely violent  Another fact in the last couple of years: big numbers of tourists driving nice cars or wearing visible valuables get followed in the cars and to their homes to be robbed there (this happens a lot during the summer in the nice places of the south).

I am not trying to characterize, but this happens and it happens more and more. I love London and I love France, and these evolutions are just disgusting. If you don't know about it because it is not reported, not much I can do about it apart from suggesting that you really get informed if you care.

You are joking, right?

you tell me: did I say something funny?

-- hide signature --

FTD5

FtoDin5min's gear list:FtoDin5min's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow