Started May 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,795Gear list
Like?
Print DR and Printing
In reply to Sergey_Green, Jun 2, 2013

Sergey_Green wrote:

Franka T.L. wrote:

Very well put , I find it perplexing why people would relate the DxO Marks as that of a measure of end result as its obviously not. Its a measure of what the camera can do in those set criteria. In Aviation term its call envelope of performance. Its a measure of capability quantified, yes, but its a measure of the capability of its capture, not that of the end result ( which had to go through loads of other stuff .... )

Most modern printers will show around 6+ stops of DR.

Source or reference, please.

Many modern dSLRs capture 14+ stops.

Source or reference, please.

When sent to the printer the image is converted according to the printer's specifications, I mean there is no magic in it, and is reproduced accordingly.

It is somewhat more complicated than that.

Image is converted by the printing program using the profile associated with the printer driver, printing program and also that of the paper used (ICC profile for each) by Photoshop (or whatever program is used).

Image then goes to the colour lookup table in the printer where the RGB -> Cc Mm Y K LK LLK separation is done, along with the associated tasks of turning an RGB image into an eight colour "plate" separation.

Printer electronics and mechanics then translates this into ink droplets, and usually use variable size droplet on demand (VSDD, for short), even in the cheapest MFP these days ...

So what DxO camera tests got to do with printing is truly beyond me. But then again, those who seek the answers do usually find them.

It appears that we may agree on this.
DxO "measurements" do seem to bear little relationship to any kind of photographic reality.
I much prefer Bill Claff's more scientific approach - start with measuring real world examples, then try to make sense of it, and order it in a meaningful, structured way.

Seems to me that DxO start with some esoteric theory, then try to force it into a pre-determined mold. That is to say, putting the cart before the horse ...
Not the way I was taught to do science at University ...

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow