Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Gpruitt54
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
Re: Novatron 240 WS Studio Flash
In reply to Sailor Blue, 10 months ago

Sailor Blue wrote:

Gpruitt54 wrote:

Forgot to ask, what are the 5-pin connectors on the light heads called?  The 240 I am looking at may need to have a connector replaced.  I want to price out these connectors before I buy the unit.  So, I need to know what they are called.

It doesn't matter what it is called.  Strobe equipment has high capacity high voltage capacitors capable of producing deadly shocks.  Unless you are specifically trained in how to work with high voltages and high capacity capacitors you should never try to service flash equipment.  Doing so can quickly make you an example of the Darwin theory of evolution in action by removing you from humanity's family tree.

If you buy the Novatron lights expect to pay a qualified serviceman to fix what looks like a high voltage cable connector.

I wouldn't recommend the Corona flash units for two reasons.

One is price - you get what you pay for.  I made the mistake of buying low priced studio strobes the first time and they quickly wound up in the trash can.  The second time I bought quality and I couldn't be happier that I spent a few dollars more the second time to get quality.

Two, and this is the clincher, the power is only adjustable over 4 stops.  Especially with small product shooting you want the ability to adjust the power over more stops.  5 stops of power adjustably is a minimum and 6 stops is better.

I suggest you look at the Flashpoint II 320M Monolight Kit or just the Flashpoint II 320M Monolights.  The quality is good and Flashpoint is Adorama's house brand so Adorama will stand behind the lights to protect their reputation.  Accessories are readily available from Adorama.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Thanks for that advice.  I would not consider working on the pack.  The bad connector is on one of the heads.  I thought it would be safe enough working on the heads connector.

Anyway,  I will look into the Flashpoint II 320M monolight.  If Adorama stands behind it, I cool with that.  I've had very good luck with Adorama.  I've also looked at the Square Perfect 300W/S SP300 Strobe.  Do you have any comments on that product?

Gpruitt54's gear list:Gpruitt54's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow