User Advise On Leica R-8 SLR Film Camera:

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
asiafish
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Re: Minolta
In reply to bosjohn21, Jun 2, 2013

bosjohn21 wrote:

I remember well the r4 and r4s I used to own and use. It is my understanding that at that time which was concurant with the cl there was a relationship between minolta and Leitz beyond the similarities in cameras. I think if memory serves for the r3 r4 and r4s minolta provided the body castings and Leitz put their own stuff in them as you say. Interestingly again if memory servers one or two of the Leitz badged zoom lenses were rebadged minolta with of course different lens mount but I wouldn't bet the farm on my memory.

John aka bosjohn

More than just zooms.  The Elmarit-R 16mm fisheye and 24 wideangle were also Minolta designs.  They weren't exactly rebadged as more than the mount was different.  The Leitz versions had the Minolta optical designs, but were definitely built to Leitz' mechanical standards and may have used Leitz' coatings.

I had both the Leitz and Minolta 24/2.8 and could not tell the images from them apart.  Since the Leitz was worth $700 and the Minolta only $300 (pretty high retained value for a Minolta MD lens) I sold the Leitz.

-- hide signature --

'China, which we call Red China, just exploded a nuclear bomb, which we called a device'
- Tom Lehrer

asiafish's gear list:asiafish's gear list
Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow