intel 520 isue

Started May 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 893Gear list
Like?
Re: Been there
In reply to brn, Jun 1, 2013

brn wrote:

Don't install any AHCI driver.  At least not yet.

Disable AHCI in your BIOS.  Run with the SSD for at least a week without AHCI.  If you think you need AHCI (you may not), get the driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

A primary benefit to AHCI is Native Command Queuing (NCQ).  This allows the drive to store multiple commands from the PC and execute them in the sequence it considers most efficient.  For a drive with moving parts, this can provide a lot of benefit.  The drive can make decisions on what to do, based on the physicality of the drive components.

An SSD doesn't have moving parts, so it doesn't benefit much.  In single threaded drive access circumstances (typical PC use), the extra computational overhead can actually be detrimental to drive performance.  In the case of heavily multi-tasking drive access, AHCI can be beneficial for an SSD.

Hi brn,

There are definite benefits of running SSD drive using AHCI controller.  There are large number of websites on the internet that can help you with that as well.

My personal experience, on my current machine I have an Intel 520 SSD.  Due to an old BIOS when I received my PC the SSD was running under IDE drivers and was barely reaching half of its design speed. That does not mean that it wasn't running, the PC was running just fine. Now under AHCI management, I'm getting the full 500Mb/s.  Compared to the 250Mb/s I was getting before that this is a very good improvement.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow