Coolpix A edge resolution very low at F2.8 and F4?

Started Jun 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
Coolpix A edge resolution very low at F2.8 and F4?
Jun 1, 2013

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417565,00.asp

"I used Imatest to check the sharpness of the Coolpix A's 18.5mm (28mm equivalent) f/2.8 lens. At its widest aperture it delivers impressive center sharpness, scoring a center-weighted score of 2,235 lines per picture height. This is better than the 1,800 lines we require of a sharp image, but it should be noted that edge performance is disappointing at f/2.8 and f/4. At these apertures the edge averages, which analyzes the 20 percent of the frame on the extreme left and 20 percent on the extreme right, scored only 1,041 lines and 1,172 lines respectively.

Stopping the lens down to f/5.6 improves the overall score to 2,417 lines, but brings the edge performance up to 1,894 lines for a much more evenly sharp photo."

The above is very negative accessment and I am not sure it is correct.  Although in daylight I usually shoot at F5.6 but the idea that at F2.8 only 1041 lines resolution at edge is a big turn off if true.

May I ask Coolpix A owner if this testing result of PC magazine is true or they happen to have an early/defective unit?

Thanks

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow