A Pro's opinion of EVF vs OVF

Started May 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,192
Like?
Uh, no. Not at all.
In reply to chlamchowder, Jun 1, 2013

chlamchowder wrote:

We'll talk about that again when it gets there. Right now, it's pretty far off, especially in low light.

My oh my, how convenient. I can still see (today) subjects in some of my camera EVFs that can't be seen in my DSLR's OVFs because it's too dark. Today.

You miss the point entirely. The huge depth of field given by the tiny sensor and small aperture would cover up any AF inaccuracies. Take any DSLR, stop down to f/11, and track a fast moving subject. You'll easily get about a 100% hit rate in terms of usable shots. What really shows how good an AF system is is how it performs with limited DOF, which requires far better accuracy.

Bad assumption. I missed nothing. A large DoF will indeed mask focusing errors if you don't look too closely, but they're still very visible when you do. The point that you missed entirely (if you even bothered to consider it) is that the AF accuracy has nothing to do with the aperture used or with the DoF. All cameras stop trying to refine the focusing accuracy beyond a certain point. With the PD AF sensors we're talking about it's almost always done using the f/5.6 part of the lens, although with some of Nikon's latest models in some cases it uses the f/8 part instead. Changing the aperture of your DSLR to f/11 doesn't help at all. The AF accuracy is the same as it would be at any aperture from (depending on the lens) from f/2 to f/22 because the AF sensor uses the same f/5.6 part of the lens (while the mirror is down, between shots) to do its AF measurements and then adjust the lens's focus. And it doesn't care at all what the DoF might be.

My Sony a580's tracking performance was shaky with a 70-210/4 at 210mm f4. But close it down to f/6.3 or higher, and you're looking at a hit rate approaching 100%. We really haven't seen the V1 with anything like a 110mm f/1.0 lens (close to the standard 300/2.8 on FX), because no such lens exists. And with larger sensor cameras, on-sensor PDAF ranges from slow (Canon 650/700D) to having really limited use (a99 -  points not selectable manually, and don't even work at all with most lens).

So now what you're really saying is that your A580's AF accuracy while tracking wasn't stellar, but at smaller apertures the greater DoF masked its inaccuracies. How does that in any way tell you that the V1's accuracy is any worse or any better? It could be much better but you're assuming the worst. And since you're confident that the V1 won't get a 110mm f/1.0 lens any time soon, it's safe to do so. Since Nikon has stated that the V1's AF tracking algorithms were based on the D3's algorithms, it's safe to conclude that they are very, very good. It's probably safe to assume that the A580's AF tracking algorithms aren't quite as robust. If they were, you might have had a greater hit rate even when shooting at f/4. But if you want to continue arguing about things that we can't know, enjoy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow