sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
Re: Facebook
In reply to RedFox88, Jun 1, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

falconeyes wrote:

I feel your pain.

Nevertheless, I am a bit concerned you share your images with Facebook. Facebook claims a non-exclusive copyright to allow their members (read everybody) to share the work they find on FB.

Wrong.  Any website you post an image to needs a license to host and show said pictures via their website.  The parts that will say redistribute, modify, royalty free, etc. are all that is needed to show images, at different sizes, compressed and to not have to pay the copyright holder a fee to show them to those that they are shown to.  Even photo hosting sites like smugmug and zenfolio have those elements to their user agreement!

Which you accepted by uploading your photos to FB. This may send a wrong signal to potential copyright violators, i.e., that you don't care.

Don't get me wrong, I think FB is to blame, not you. But still thinking you may need to control the initial distribution of your work more.

See above, can't "blame" facebook for having legal grounds to show your friends your photos!

I really wish you were right. However, if you post images on Facebook, the rights you grant Facebook goes above and beyond what photography sites like Flickr, Zenfolio, Smugmug, 500px et al. require. In fact those sites let you control the rights to your images, and do not require any kind of reassignable rights to your IP.

Here is the Facebook TOS regarding images (my emphasis):

1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

You can only terminate these explicitly assigned rights by deleting your images, provided that those who shared your images also delete them.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Fee.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow