Review of Sirui M-3204, Arca-Swiss P0, A-S L-bracket, SunwayFoto DDY-64i

Started May 18, 2013 | User reviews thread
HomoSapiensWannaBe
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
Re: Review of Sirui M-3204, Arca-Swiss P0, A-S L-bracket, SunwayFoto DDY-64i
In reply to HomoSapiensWannaBe, May 31, 2013

Today I got the Kirk QRC-1, 1" quick release clamp for use with the monopod.  It is well made and allows quick attachment of the Nikon 70-200/4G VR with Kirk's excellent tripod collar.   I considered the similar SunwayFoto DDC-26 clamp, which is $10 cheaper, but decided to support Kirk Enterprises.

I am 5'11" (71") tall.  When I use the D600 horizontally with this lens and collar, the eyepiece is at my standing eye level when the Sirui monopod from the M-3204 kit is at its maximum height, just under 59".  However, if I turn the camera vertically, the eyepiece lowers a few inches.  To take care of this lower height -- so I don't have to bend over for vertical shots -- I put an old Leitz ball & socket head on the monopod, which adds about 5" to the total height.  The Kirk QRC-1 goes on top of that.

The Leitz B&S head gives me flexibility for shooting up or down, otherwise I keep it level and locked tight.   The dang thing is made of steel and is heavier than I would like!

I extend all monopod legs except the topmost section, which I adjust up/down as needed for shooting horizontal or vertical to keep the camera eyepiece at full standing eye level.   I use the same approach with the Arca-Swiss universal L-bracket when using that.

Cheers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow