Started May 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,803
Like?
Re: Increase RAM
In reply to Nikoni, May 31, 2013

Nikoni wrote:

Nikoni wrote:
Thanks for your reply, it is to increase memory allocation or photoshop, I started doing panoramas, when I stitch them in PS CS6 it stops nd says not enogh RAM...etc memory.

So if you know how would you  advise me please

Jim is asking the right questions regarding your OS (32 vs. 64) and the amount of RAM already installed in your machine. If you have a 64 bit OS and plenty of installed RAM, then adjust your memory allocation as Robert explained.

Pano work can absolutely use huge amounts of RAM. Some people have 64GB installed and still hit the scratch file.

Ho72

Thanks Shan you have been absolutely brilliant,
I've got 32bits and Ram 4GB

If you have a 32 bit version of Windows, then Photoshop will only use around 1.7GB of it, no matter how much you have installed.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/64-bit-os-benefits-limitations.html#main_RAM_use_Win

For that matter, even Windows itself will only be able to use around 3.2GB of the 4GB you have installed (but, a 32 bit version of Photoshop won't use more than 1.7GB of it).

in other words, only around 3.2GB of the 4GB of memory you have installed is being used by a 32 bit version of Windows, and Photoshop is only going to use 1.7GB of it.

That's just a limitation of a 32 bit Operating System and the way the 32 Bit version of CS6 works.   You need to go with 64 bit versions for Photoshop to be able to use more of the memory you have installed for memory intensive tasks like stitching panoramas.

For starters, you need to upgrade to a 64 Bit Operating System.  That way, Photoshop can use more than 1.7GB of the memory you have installed

I'd suggest installing 64 Bit Windows 7 for starters.   Here in the U.S., you can find an OEM version of 64 Bit Windows 7 for less than $100.

Chances are, that will give you around 1GB more for CS6 (as 64 Bit Win 7 will probably take around 1GB of the 4GB you have installed, allowing close to 3GB for Photoshop use (versus the 1.7GB maximum that CS6 will use with a 32 Bit Operating System).

Then, depending on the performance you get after installing a 64 bit Operating System (for example, 64 Bit Windows 7 or 64 Bit Windows 8), consider upgrading to more memory in your PC, too.    I'd give more details on the PC you have for better responses (brand/model, etc.).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow